Welcome

T. S. Eliot First Editions with Painting by Barbara KasselI’ve always used art to help clarify what I feel and think, as well as to interpret and contextualize the outside world. My involvement with art of all kinds, both as a practitioner and observer, shapes my view of the world in an ongoing manner. I’ve been an active sculptor, painter, and poet for a long time, but this is equally true of other art forms; music, architecture, etc., which I have only interacted with, not created. I find, that in all forms, what I start out thinking I am writing about, painting, or sculpting, through endless revisions, clarifications, and refinements, inevitably crystalizes into something different. This process led me to title the blog, A Husk Of Meaning. It is from one of my favorite poems, T.S. Eliot’s Four Quartets. From Little Gidding;

…And what you thought you came for
Is only a shell, a husk of meaning
From which the purpose breaks only when it is fulfilled
If at all. Either you had no purpose
Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured
And is altered in fulfillment…

I have started this blog to both share this journey and to engage others whose experience is similar. Some of the kinds of things I will be talking about are the relationship of scale to proportion and composition, the tension between what is included and what is omitted, and the power of the mind’s unconscious associative mandate for symmetry. I’ll also post and talk about favorite paintings, sculptures, films, music, etc. and their profound effect on me, and their role in helping my thinking and perception evolve.
I hope to encourage a thoughtful dialogue, as well as just sharing my own perspective.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS
  • Twitter

56 Comments on "Welcome"

1. Carey Peck says:

Congratulations David. For taking on the big questions: of the world we percieve, and the world we intuit. It takes a lot of looking, and we are standing in the dark. It reminds me of night vision. The rods of the eyes percieve things at night in the corner of the eyes that we can’t see straight ahead. William Meredith said that. Looking direct on to life doesn’t do it either. Sometimes you have to look around the thing to describe it.Didn’t Emily Dicken say “The thought behind a veil is more clearly seen? Ans so poetry is the way for me. In this corporate and ironic world we can still speak out from our heart – still speak to the truth. I only recently understood that you follow that path too.
    With no hope at arriving, then, in recognition that the journey is the reward – let us begin. Though we do not reach our destination, we are complete in the trying, in the doing and striving.

“But let his be as it may be.
    I have shown the way to strangers,
    Showed the way and left the markers,
    Cut the branches, shown the pathways.
    This way therefore leads the pathway,
    Here the course lies newly opened,
    Open for the greater singers,
    For the bards and ballad singers,
    For the young, who now are growing,
    For the rising generation.”

-Kalevala

2. Craig Simon says:

You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. Nice first step.

3. David Leeds says:

Carey, Dickinson does indeed say it well about the seeing and the way through, or really forward, because one is never really in the clear. I’m tempted to quote more Eliot,
    he always seems to have something trenchant for me, better expressed. Dickinson was an oversight, not including her in the poetry section . Will remedy that. I appreciate your thoughtful reading and response, and lookforwrd to continuing together.

4. David Leeds says:

Thanks Craig. It took a lot of hard work by my wife Kathy who contributed so much to design elements, the structure of the enterprise, and all kinds of things, as well as our wonderful IT person.

5. Ida Morel says:

Hullo David,
    I finally found your blog with Metscan’s help.
    As a lover of poetry would like to read some of yours?
    Also looking forward to posts on music,architecture and sculpture.
    Francis Chantrey especially his ‘sleeping children’ sculpture in Lichfield
    Cathedral I find so moving,he also did a sculpture of George Washington
    in Boston.
    Best wishes to your new blogging life.Ida

6. David Leeds says:

Ida, thank you so much for your good wishes. I looked up the Chantrey sculpture
    and could only find a very small image. It looked lovely, but i’m still looking for a larger one that I can really see. As far as my poetry, is concerned, I will post some of it from time to time. If you follow the link to more about me and the artist web site, there is poetry on that site. The only problem, for the moment, is it’s being reconstructed so is temporarily only showing a few sculptures.

7. frank sander says:

dear david,
    i enjoyed reading your blog. i too paint. and i am very interetsed in sculpture.
    i enjoy reading and sometimes writing poetry as well. i am glad to be apart of
    such a nice and interesting blog. please, for the sake of art and others keep
    it up. thank you david.

painter, frank sander

• David Leeds says:

Frank, thanks for your encouragement. I’m trying
      at the moment to find the right balance between the blog
      and my sculpture. Hopefully all our activities feed each other.

8. Janet Bothne says:

Congrats, David! Well done and very interesting. I’ll look forward to your posts!

9. GERT ILLIG says:

Did like your last comment on the new movie ” the tree of life ” which starts on the 16th of june in Germany and Switzerland and also the publishing of Rousseau’s famous painting ” The Dream ” painted in the year of his death 1910 , a present of Nelsin A. Rockefeller in the MOMA collection .

10. Mia togo says:

Congratulations on your site, I love it! Creative expression is as important to our well-being as diet and exercise. Thanks for the food for the soul. :-)

Submit Your Comment!